Friday, October 14, 2005

A day at the fair with Daddy

Tom is a work-a-holic but he loves his girls and is a GREAT daddy. He took the day off of work today to take Katie to the South Carolina State Fair. Brittanie looks forward to it every year. We have taken Katie every year but until this year she really couldn't do much other than ride the ponies and see all the animals/petting zoo. But this year she was old enough to ride some rides. This is where we see how much she is like Tom and I. I am a VERY impatient person and always have been. Well that is one bad thing Katie inherited from me. Tom said she couldn't stand waiting in line for the rides, even though the longest wait they had was 3 minutes. And once she was on the ride, she couldn't stand waiting for it to start. At one point, she was on the kiddie swings waiting for it to start and just couldn't stand sitting still. So while the other kids were scared and sitting perfectly still, she started rocking her swing wildly. She absolutely loves riding stuff but the slow safe rides bore her. She is like Tom, Brittanie, and I in that she likes her rides wild....the wilder the better. By the end of the day, Tom had taught her to raise her hands up while she is riding!!! That's something I never did. I was too scared. But she was having a blast raising her hands and screaming. I wish he had taken the camera with him because he said her little face had the biggest smile on every ride. She absolutely loved it. She also figured out that the last car gave the rougher/wilder ride so she always headed to that last car....unless (and here is where my DNA kicks in) there is a little boy sitting by himself. If she saw a little boy in another car sitting alone, she sat beside him. NEVER by any little girls sitting alone....always by the little boys. That's just too funny that she likes boys that much this young. She definitely is her mom's baby. She ate a corn dog for lunch. I don't see the appeal of those things. I hate cornbread and weiners without chilli, cheese, and onions just isn't appealing at all to me. But she enjoyed her corn dog with daddy. They did stuff nonstop from 11am to 4pm. She was flat out exhausted when she got home but she had a blast. We love the South Carolina State Fair. They really go the extra mile to make sure everybody, regardless of age, has a good time. It is hard to tell which she liked more though, the animals or the rides. Tom let her feed the goats and lamas. Last year when I took her I didn't let her do that. Goats are disgusting animals and I was afraid they would bite her while trying to get the food out of her hands because they are aggressive eaters and will eat anything. I wouldn't even walk near the lamas because they are like camels, they spit! But I guess I'm just over protective because the goat didn't bite her and the lama didn't spit at them. Tom called me on his cell phone while they were on the sky lift. I nearly had a panic attack at the thought of my wiggly toddler that high up in the air. He gave her the phone and let me talk to her and she was so excited that I could barely understand what she was saying. It was precious. All in all, she had a GREAT day with daddy. He is a wonderful father!!!

I took Brittanie and her boyfriend, William, and his best friend, Justin, to the fair Tuesday because they didn't have school Monday or Tuesday. Well when William asked Brittanie to be his girlfriend, he gave her his necklace that he NEVER takes off. He tried to wear Brittanie's middle school class ring on his pinky but it didn't fit. So Brittanie got him a sterling silver rope chain from ebay that was VERY affordable and put her ring on it. She gave it to him when they got to the fair. He has been wearing it ever since. It is so cute to see them together. Anyway, this was her best year at the fair. Even though William doesn't like rides, she still had fun walking around with him, going in the fun houses, and playing games. He won her a good sized dog and two small bears....one was a cheerleader bear. She was pretty tired when she got home but William has given her back the self esteem that Grace took away. I'm so happy for her!!! I want her to have good memories of high school.

Tom developed a migraine on Saturday and ended up coming home early Tuesday because it was still there and had traveled from his forehead, down his neck and spine, all the way down to his tailbone. I figured he was tensing up because his head hurt so much and he has work to do and can't concentrate because his head hurt. So I gave him a Zanaflex, which his a muscle relaxer. He went to bed at 4:30pm and got up at 7am the next day. He did ALOT better Wednesday and is down to a dull headache today....which he can handle. He won't take a narcotic to break the headache. Our doctor wanted him to come in and get a Demerol/Phenergan shot to kick it out and he wouldn't do it. He wasn't running fever and had no dizziness or rash so that pretty much ruled out meningitis, which was my first concern. But his migraines have started coming more and more often and he has finally agreed to get back on the Depakote to try to prevent them. I'm thrilled because I hate seeing him suffer so often with those migraines, especially when they could be prevented if he would just take one pill a day. That is so frustrating. But this one was so bad, he decided it was time.

Well that's all for now. I'll update more when I get more to tell.

No comments: