Sunday, February 05, 2006

PLEASE pray for Brittanie

Brittanie started having a sore throat Tuesday. It got pretty bad on Thursday and I dug up some Keflex and started her on that and took her to the doctor on Friday. I was pretty sure she probably had either strep or mono. Dr. Konduros took one look in her throat and was pretty sure of the same thing. But both the rapid strep and the monospot came back negative. Her white blood cell count was normal but she did have some other count elevated. He said that sometimes mono takes a week to show up on a monospot so we have to go back if she isn't better by Monday. He gave her a full prescription of Keflex and some Magic Mouthwash. He wanted to give her a steriod injection but she didn't want. Yesterday she went to get her highlights done (and tanning) and while she was gone I filled a prescription for Prednisone, which her asthma doctor had given her back in the summer. I figured if he was going to give her that in the form of a shot, why couldn't she take it in tablet form? She was eating Advil like crazy because it was the only thing that helped. So that's when I thought about my Celebrex. It is an anti-inflammatory that is stronger than Advil. My ENT wants me off of Celebrex for two weeks before my surgery so his nurse called in Lortab for me to take in its place. I'm not going to take that because if he is worried about Celebrex thinning my blood then the aspirin in Lortab would be even worse. DUH! So I gave Brittanie two Lortab (which is like one Vicodin tablet). With all of that, she finally got some relief last night. It didn't completely relieve the pain but it was bearable to the point where she could wear her retainer. She didn't want to wear her retainer because it makes her swallow her spit more and that is painful. But today she is in pain again. So I'm going to try to get her in with my ENT tomorrow.

When I was 15, I developed an abscess behind my tonsils. My mom took me to the doctor and the to the Emergency Room what seemed like 100 times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong because my throat was swollen almost shut (when I would drink something it would go up my nose instead of down) and my ears were killing me. Finally, my aunt suggested my mom take me to her daughter's ENT. He diagnosed me immediately with the abscess. I had to be put in the hospital and given intravenous antibiotics. When I turned 18, I had the tonsils removed. I just don't want Brittanie to go through this as long as I went through it. Since the abscess though, I became a mono carrier. I have never actually had mono myself but every guy I ever kissed after that has developed mono....including Tom. I sure hope this isn't mono. She would have to be home schooled for at least 4 weeks. The military ball is on the 17th. She has the dress, has been tanning for weeks for it, and just had her hair highlighted for it. She is really looking forward to this and I would hate for her to miss it. But I honestly don't think it is mono. She isn't running fever. She isn't tired, which goes along with mono. Her abdomen isn't tender...another symptom of mono. I'm afraid she has an abscess just like I did.

Dr. Bogan (her sleep doctor) suggested she get her tonsils out last summer but she didn't want to because she was scared. She is regretting that decision now. Please everyone pray that my ENT can see her soon and he does outpatient surgeries on Wednesdays. Let's pray he can take her tonsils out and fix this whole problem on Wednesday without a hospital stay and without much pain.

No comments: