Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Update on Brittanie

I took Brittanie to see my ENT yesterday. He gave her Augmentin liquid to take in place of the Keflex and I had just got in bed last night when Tom came in and told me she was throwing it up.

So this morning, I called the ENT and he was in surgery so I talked to his nurse. She was stupid and told me to "make" Brittanie take those antibiotics because she "has" to. I asked her "What do you want me to do? Pour it down her and cork her throat closed to keep it down? That's stupid!" She said he was in surgery till 1 and then clinicals till 5. He never did call me back. I took her back to Dr. Konduros (her family doctor) at 3:40 and he gave her a shot of Rocephin (which Dr. Hook ....my boss/doctor....told me was like 24 hours of IV antibiotics) and told me to bring her back tomorrow and if she isn't tremendously better, he would give her another shot of Rocephin and put her on a KetekPak. He gets it that she can't swallow. I think my ENT didn't realize how bad this was. He saw plain old tonsilitis but in reality, her tonsils are always huge and when they are inflamed, her throat just about closes. So the ENT wants to see her again in 2 weeks and then we will talk about getting her tonsils out.

As of tonight, her tonsils are still swollen and she is still in pain but it is a little bit improved. Hopefully by the time she goes to the doctor tomorrow she will be almost back to normal and the second shot will just seal the deal. This has been so stressful!! I hate seeing her in pain knowing there is nothing I can do to help.

In the middle of all of this is Katie. Tom was able to get off work early Monday to stay with her while we went to the ENT and he took her to preschool for me this morning but I still had to take her to the family doctor with us today. We were there for an hour and a half and it was torture. She is wide open at home but she is worse in public because we don't have the paddle with us. But tomorrow when I take Brittanie back, I'm bringing the paddle with me. She just will not behave without a paddling. I love her with all of my heart but when we have stressful times like we did this week, it is so hard being away from my family. If they lived closer, I could drop her off to them while we go to the doctor or even just have some time to ourselves without her. Because of all of the disciplining we have to do with her, I know she is as tired of us as we are of her sometimes and it would be good to just have some time apart. But my family lives 800 miles away so little breaks are out of the question. She was gone for 2 weeks last year and I just about went nuts without her. I can't handle being away from her for that long. But when we go down there for spring break, I'm going to take advantage of being down there for a week and letting my mom spend all the time she wants with Katie while we get away and do stuff. I'm sooooo looking forward to it!!

No comments: