Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Cellulitis update

A few people have asked me about the cellulitis on my leg so I decided to post an update. I went to my doctor/boss on Monday afternoon and he said I have a venous stasis ulcer/cellulitis on my leg and with the lymphedema that is always present in my legs, it will not heal unless we get the edema off first. So he wrapped me in an UNNA boot. I have typed this many times but never knew what it actually was. This is what it looks like. He put me on a different class of antibiotics, fluid pills, potassium, and told me to come back in a week to change the UNNA boot. I may have to wear an UNNA boot for a month. Anything to avoid the hospital. I was so scared he was going to put me in the hospital and we have done that a couple of times when I had cellulitis in my right leg and I HATE that. Home Health won't do an IV at home unless I'm home bound, which I'm obviously not. So he gave me a Rocephin injection and the oral antibiotics and will give me another Rocephin injection next week when he changes the boot. I am hoping that it heals faster than expected because if it doesn't I won't be able to go to Tom's cousin's wedding on the 23rd and Katie is serving as flower girl. So I REALLY want to be there. Right now I can only wear flip flops with this boot. I'm not about to go to the wedding in flip flops.

So that's the update. It doesn't hurt or anything. It is just frustrating because it is like having a cast....it itches under there. But unlike a cast, I can't stick anything in there to scratch. It is too tight. Fun Fun!

No comments: