Monday, January 12, 2009

FINALLY!!

Brittanie waited till today, like Tech told her to, and her classes were still not reinstated. So she had to go up there and try to register. Records told her they couldn't help her. Advisement told her they couldn't help her. She went back to Records and they told her to go to the Robinson building. So she went to the Robinson building and they told her they couldn't help her because they were only doing Drop/Add to existing schedules. While she was on her way to Robinson, I called up there and wanted to talk to someone I could chew out about this situation. I was sent to voice mail. So I started thinking and remembered the team mom of one of Brittanie's 8 and under all star softball team works there. So I looked her up and asked her if she could help. She went to Advisement to see what she could find out. Brittanie called me to tell me that Robinson was a bust so I told her to head to the student center and meet Mrs. Ginger at Advisement. Before she got there, Ginger called her to tell her the woman in Advisement didn't know what to tell her so she needed to go back to Records. About this time, I got a call back from the woman for whom I left a voice mail. She told me she was at the Beltline campus and couldn't help me but gave me the name of a woman at Brittanie's campus that could help. So I looked up her number and called her. By this time, I was NOT happy. It should NOT be this hard to transfer!!! The woman told me to tell Brittanie to come see her and gave me her room number. So that's what I did. The woman looked up classes that Brittanie could take that would transfer to USC in the fall and had openings, gave her a paper with the information she needed to register for these classes and sent her somewhere else. When she got there, there were 30 people in line and only 2 attendants helping them. But after 2 1/2 hours of running all over creation, she FINALLY got a schedule! It was 10:30am and her first class started at 11. So she ran in the bookstore to get books for her class. The bookstore was packed out! So she went to a vending machine to get something to eat because she has two classes back to back from 11:00 to 2:10 and she was already hungry and knew she would be starving by 2:10.

Her first class was Political Science. She has an East Indian teacher, who thankfully doesn't have an accent. She was very impressed. The way he disciplines is by handing out absences. If you are late, you don't get a tardy, you get an absence. If he sees your cell phone in class, you get an absence. If you miss a day....no matter what the reason....that is an absence. After 4 absences, you are kicked out of the class. He told them that last semester he started with a class of 30 and only 7 finished. Brittanie will be fine. She thrives on discipline. Even as a kid, she used to make up rules for herself. She was quite excited listening to him discuss current political issues. Her teacher gives extra credit for attending functions outside of class. He gave them a list of events and the first one is on the 27th of this month. It is a rally outside the statehouse to protest Mark Sanford cutting funding to colleges and lottery scholarships in South Carolina. She said unless she is working by then, she will be there.

So hopefully this will be a matter of a bad beginning being a great ending. She is in English II right now. I hope she has the same good experience in the rest of her classes that she had in Political Science.

No comments: