Saturday, July 30, 2005

Hectic week

I haven't been able to update in the last couple of days so I thought I would stay up tonight and update while the house is quiet.

Wednesday, July 27, Katie had her tubes put in and her adenoids taken out. She stuck to her daddy like glue. We sat in the waiting room and she wouldn't come to me at all. They brought us back and took her vitals and gave us a gown to put on her. She wouldn't let me put the gown on her. Daddy had to do it. It was over pretty quick and when we went back to the recovery area to see her, she wouldn't even let me touch her. She cried and was disoriented but was clinging to her daddy. I couldn't even wipe her tears. She took the tissue out of my hand and gave it to Tom to wipe. She refused to drink and was so upset that she had a little crying episode for 3 minutes. Tom teared up when she did that.

Sandra came to the Surgery Center before they took Katie to the OR. She had a stuffed cow that mooed in her car. Katie had played with it when she visited them. So she went to the car and got it for Katie. The nurses let her take it to the OR with her and she has been attached to it ever since. They have been checking on her and making sure she was ok. Tom and I were so touched that she would leave early to come and be with us before she went to work. Sandra, Jimmy, Samantha, and Ora Lee are such a blessing to us. They are always there when we need them. They adore our girls. In fact, Katie calls Jimmy Paw-Paw and Sandra Mamie. Of course, Samantha is Boo-Boo. Brittanie calls them Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Sandra and Aunt Sam. This is why we are drawing up a will to make sure that Jimmy and Sandra raise our girls in the event that something happens to both of us. I couldn't ask for better grandparents/godparents for our girls. I just hope that I am blessed with grandchildren one day. I am going to be one of those grandparents that I always wanted for myself and my girls. I will never be critical of my grandchildren or try to change them into what I think they should be. I will look at my grandchildren and be proud of the good things in their life instead of finding things I disapprove of. If I live anywhere close, I will be there for every sporting event, school activity, etc. they participate in. I will talk to them often on the phone and make sure I see them often. They will never ever have to wonder if I love them unconditionally because I will.

Tom is an outstanding father. I wish my dad could have been half as attentive to me as Tom is to his girls. I wanted my girls to have a daddy that adored them and was very loving and attentive to them and that is exactly what God blessed me with. God has truly blessed us with our girls. Brittanie is such a blessing. She is smart, beautiful, talented, responsible, and mature. So much so that people at her school call her "the last American virgin" and "14 going on 27." She doesn't care. She is a Christian young lady and refuses to drink, smoke, do drugs, have sex, etc. She respects herself too much. I guess that is why I get mad when people who are supposed to love her find fault with her. Compared to the average teenager, Brittanie is a saint. She isn't perfect but a perfect teenager is a boring teenager. Brittanie is moody and very sensitive. She gets her feelings hurt easily. But what teenager isn't moody? I wish she were a little less sensitive because I want her to see herself the way I see her and so many others see her. She is GREAT!! If God would have given me a chance to pick the daughter I wanted, I would have chosen Brittanie. One thing she does know is that her daddy and I love her unconditionally. That's why she is as close to us as she is. The man she marries is going to be getting a true princess.

Anyway, we are all getting over being sick. Katie was back to normal from her surgery Wednesday afternoon and was begging to go to daycare on Thursday. I was going to take her to daycare today but she woke up sluggish this morning and was clinging to me....even with Tom in the room. That never happens. After being on me for an hour, I told her I needed to get something to drink. So I got up and she went and climbed up on her daddy. I hadn't been in the kitchen a minute when she threw up all over Tom. He said "How did you know to get up a minute before she would have thrown up on you?" hahaha Just luck I guess. Today, she started running fever. If she is still running fever in the morning, I'm going to take her to see her pediatrician in the morning.

I talked to Jonathan tonight. He and his wife and their girls are coming to spend the night with us on August 12th so they can watch Brittanie cheer at her first varsity football game and then the next day they will take the girls to EdVenture Children's Museum while I watch the baby. We will have a cookout with them that afternoon. He is leaving in September for a three year stent in Germany. I am going to miss him so much. I feel like he is my son. He got a bum rap growing up. His wife told me that he said I am the only one who really loved him growing up. I don't understand that. He was the first grandson! He was his mom's first son. He should have been the golden boy. Instead he came second to a loser stepfather and didn't live close enough to be spoiled by his grandparents. But he always knew I loved him. He made some mistakes along the way, but I'm so proud of him. He is a good husband and father. He has turned into a fine young man.

No comments: