Thursday, March 16, 2006

What doesn't kill us will only make us stronger!

Brittanie came through the tonsillectomy just fine. Justin (her boyfriend) came over last night to help take care of her. Her best friends, William and Miranda, also came to visit. She pretty much slept the day away until they got there. She perked up a bit while they were all there and then when William and Miranda left, she went back to bed. Justin is going to be taking care of her and Katie for me today and tomorrow so he slept over last night because his mom has to be at work in Columbia at 6:30am. So instead of having her drop him off at 5:30, I let him sleep over on the sofa, as Brittanie is in Katie's bed and Katie is in the guest room. I gave her the pain medicine at 11pm last night. Justin got up and gave her another dose at 3am and another one at 7am. He even came prepared with walkie talkies so that if Brittanie needed something in the middle of the night, she wouldn't have to scream for us. She would just grab the walkie talkie and ask for what she wanted and he could come running. Today, he has been invaluable. He has taken care of everything. William came over today to help too. But pretty much, Justin has done everything. Right now, as I'm typing this, Justin is in the kitchen washing dishes, wiping down the countertops and table, and mopping the floor. He is absolutely a wonderful boy. He adores Brittanie and is very very good to her and very respectful of us as well.

Brittanie had a bit of a meltdown around noon. Katie was being her normal hyper self and on a normal day, it wouldn't have been so bad but today Brittanie still has some Morphine from the anesthesia from yesterday in her plus the Lortab on top of that so she is VERY VERY VERY grouchy. She had a fit at Katie and without thinking I fussed at her for being so ugly to Katie and off Brittanie went into Katie's room to cry uncontrollably. That's when I remembered I was grouchy after all of my surgeries. One incidence I remember was when the staff told me to use the incentive spirometer (the thing that you use to suck in air to prevent blood clots in your lungs after surgery). Well I was grouchy and didn't want to do that thing. My mom kept putting it on my bed and telling me I need to do it. After the 2nd or 3rd time of her doing that, I snapped and threw the spirometer across the room and told her I wasn't going to do it and for her to do it. She also didn't sleep too restfully last night because the Morphine made her itch. Thankfully the itch has stopped now.

But between Katie and Brittanie and my typing, I'm mentally exhausted. But Brittanie is feeling better. She said she thinks she will be able to go to church Sunday and school on Monday.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Hey there! I hope brittany is doing better now after her surgery. Her surgery was on my mom's birthday. That was kind of a bad day for me. But things are getting better. I have a myspace. If you look me up it is under sunshn151@aol.com for the email. =)
Talk to ya later.

Aimee

Aimee said...

Hey there! I hope brittany is doing better now after her surgery. Her surgery was on my mom's birthday. That was kind of a bad day for me. But things are getting better. I have a myspace. If you look me up it is under sunshn151@aol.com for the email. =)
Talk to ya later.

Aimee