Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A light at the end of the tunnel?

It has been 6 days now since I started weaning off the Afrin. The first couple of days were absolutely miserable. I was looking forward to the nights....I'm still using it at night. But Thursday night, I'm going to go to bed without using the Afrin for the first time. I dread it because I have a few irrational phobias but one of my biggest is not being able to breathe through my nose. It took me forever to get used to the CPAP. But I'm facing having to put that mask on with a nose that isn't 100% clear. That's a scary thought. But I've come this far and I will do it! Once I have, I will NEVER EVER use Afrin again! lol

There is another bit of good news! We think Tom's migraine trigger may not be chocolate afterall. It may actually be nuts. Seems that everytime he eats chocolate and gets the migraine it is after eating something like a Snickers or Reese's peanut butter cups. We have always found it odd that he could eat those Krispy Kreme donuts that are filled with icing and topped with chocolate and never got a headache. But then there were the Heath Bar cookies. They gave him a migraine but there were no nuts in it. Well we looked it up and there are crushed almonds in toffee....which is what a Heath Bar is made of. It will be infinitely easier for Tom to give up nuts than chocolate. He is a chocoholic and I have felt bad for him for years that he had to abstain. He ate a plain Hershey bar yesterday.....no headache!!!

All in all, we are doing great. Life is GREAT!

No comments: