Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Are we sure it is spring?

It was in the 80's last week and then this weekend it got down into the 30's. Is it any wonder that we all got sick at our house? Poor Katie wasn't able to hunt Easter eggs because she was so sick. I kept her home from school yesterday but Taylor said she would hide them for her this afternoon when she got home from school. Everyone is back in school today after two weeks of spring break (one week for Katie then the next week for Brittanie and Taylor). I couldn't be happier!! Now if I could get to feeling better, that would be the icing on the cake.














I did get some sad news on Easter Sunday. Back in January I reported that my mom's 1st cousin, Aunt Melda, who she was VERY close to all of her life, passed away on my dad's birthday (January 23rd)
. She had had progressive Alzheimer's for quite a few years. She loved her husband, Uncle Tony, and he loved her too. He would tell us that she was the love of his life and how he prayed daily that God wouldn't take him before her so he could watch out for her until her dying day. God answered that prayer. But 2 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days after God took Aunt Melda home, He called Uncle Tony home as well. I have older parents so family members dying is not new to me. But this couple really hit home because I have so many memories of going to visit them in LaPlace growing up and playing with their granddaughter, Annette. They had five children and tons of grandchildren and they loved each one of them. I went to high school with their grandson, Scott. He and I graduated from Belmont the same year. It just doesn't seem real that they are both gone. My mom is taking it pretty hard. Aunt Melda was a couple of years older than mom and Uncle Tony was 4 years older than mom. But no matter what the age, it is hard to lose the people you love. I know what she is thinking because I'm thinking it too....this is pushing her to the head of the line and her days are getting shorter. But I just saw a 102 year old woman hitting a hole in one on TV yesterday. My mom has been VERY physically active all of her life. I think she could very well out live us all. But you still can't help but think about it when your parents are gone, your older sister and her husband is gone, your husband is gone, and now your closest cousin and her husband are gone. Please pray for my family during this time. I loved Uncle Tony. He was the smartest man in our family....the only Republican! hehehe He will be missed!

There is good news. Brittanie and I started doing the Atkins diet last Monday. Brittanie joined Carolina Girls Fitness in West Columbia, which is right up the road from Sonic so she can work out before going to work....and she has been going. Well Brittanie lost 8 pounds this week. I know the first 10 pounds is water but still. She was thrilled to see 8 pounds gone in a week. It gave her more motivation to stick with it. She has to lose 55 pounds to meet the ROTC scholarship requirements. She is also working on her endurance for the 2 mile run as well. She was getting discouraged because that is alot of weight to lose. But Atkins will drop it off of you quick. So she is motivated now! I'm proud of her.

No comments: