Friday, September 05, 2008

Did you notice???

Did you notice that nobody is talking about Hurricane Gustav anymore? New Orleans didn't have any damage so the media doesn't care anymore. The rest of Louisiana is important too....for me it has always been MUCH more important than New Orleans. New Orleans has always been a sesspool of criminals in my eyes. Thankfully this time around, they have an outstanding (Republican) governor who made sure troops and supplies were ready to go immediately when it was safe to roll out. I read an article on the Daily World website about 3 thugs who tried to steal atruck full of supplies (I'd be willing to bet these losers were Katrina evacuees from New Orleans). They shot at the National Guard troops that were guarding the truck and they troops returned fire. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they hit the thugs.

Much of south Louisiana is without power. My friend in Baton Rouge said they were told it could be 3 weeks before they get power. My mom in Krotz Springs was told 2 weeks before she gets power. My niece in Opelousas was told she would get power at the end of September. St. Landry Parish has been declared a national disaster area. The kids in Baton Rouge were told they may go back on the 15th. St. Landry Parish Schools are closed "until further notice." Opelousas High School has severe damage and many are wondering if they will reopen at all. But just as everyone in St. Landry Parish is cleaning up the mess and devastation that Gustav left behind, another problem has arisen. With all the rain from Gustav, there is alot of water coming down from the north. South Louisiana is very flat and many places are under sea level so it floods very easily. So they are now bracing for flooding while keeping an eye on Hurricane Ike that looks like it is heading to the Gulf.

My friend, Vanessa, who lives in Krotz Springs, sent me pictures of her house and her mom's house and the Exxon station in Krotz Springs that she took with her cell phone. It is so sad. I grew up in Krotz Springs and love St. Landry Parish (Opelousas was much better in the 80's) and I hate to see what this storm has done to it.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I honestly think its because the number of black people suffering is less than when katrina hit. The majority of the people suffering are caucasion american. That doesn't make it newsworthy enough to attract attention. Alexandria got hit pretty bad with flooding. I just hope they get power back faster than what they estimate. I know financially people will be struggling due to lack of income due to power outages. This week cost me 310.00 for being out of school and not being able to teach lessons and early morning band practice.