Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy 20th Anniversary to us!!

Today, Tom and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary! Jessica asked me yesterday afternoon what I was doing 20 years ago at that exact moment. That got me thinking about how hectic life was 20 years ago. The morning before our wedding, my pastor that was to marry us was out cycling, as he did every morning to stay healthy, and was hit by a car. Tom had a job interview in Baton Rouge and since the pastor was in the hospital in Baton Rouge, he ran by the hospital to visit him. He confirmed that the pastor would absolutely not be able to marry us that night. So I started frantically calling every pastor I know. Finally, the pastor of the church we were to be married in (our church was too small so we were having it at another church), told me that he could change his plans and marry us. I was so relieved. Little did I know that it was just the start of a comedy of errors.

The ceremony started late. My mom had refused to rehearse the night before because she wanted to hover over the cake decorators so she missed her cue to get up and light the unity candle so Tom and I had to light all 3 candles ourselves. In the process of doing the unity candle, I caught my veil on fire. Luckily I didn't ignite my entire head. But I did burn a hole in the veil. The sound man started the wrong song at one point and you could hear all the noises as he changed cassette tapes.

But even after all of that, I have great memories and would marry Tom all over again. 20 years and 2 kids later and our life together is absolutely wonderful. I love the sarcastic, quick wit that Tom has. There is never a dull moment with him. Fortunately, he has passed that on to our girls. We have so much fun together.

Later today, I'm going to get our wedding album out of moth balls and scan a picture from our wedding and post it. I can't believe it has been 20 years already! We are blessed!!

No comments: