Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The apple didn't fall far from the tree

We have known from birth that Katie was crazy about boys but until this school year, she hasn't fixated on one boy in particular. She has a cute little boy in her class named Nathan that she absolutely adores. She talks about him all the time. I have told her that it is ok to be his friend but she is way too young for a boyfriend. Being our child, she doesn't care what we think, she wants to be his girlfriend anyway.

Yesterday when Tom drove into the car line at school to drop her off, she asked him urgently to let her out under the covering instead of pulling all the way up so Mr. J. could open the door and let her out like normal. She even opened up the door and Tom made her close it. There is a procedure in place for the kids' safety and we follow procedures. At that point, Tom didn't understand why she wanted out so bad. When Mr. J. opened the door, he asked Katie if that was her little boyfriend over there (under the covering) that she wanted to walk to class with. It was Nathan. She was trying to get out of Tom's car quickly so she could walk to class with Nathan!

Yesterday after I picked her up from school, I took her to McDonald's for an ice cream cone. By the time we got home, she had eaten it down to just to the cone. She took the first bite of the cone and let out a panicked moan. She showed me the cone and it had a tooth in it and a tiny streak of blood. Her top tooth that was loose had come out. She immediately started crying and I though it was because of that tiny streak of blood on her cone. So I grabbed a spoon and scooped it out of the cone. But that wasn't what was upsetting her. She said "I'm ugly now! I have a tooth missing at the bottom and the top and Nathan is going to think I'm ugly!" I assured her that Nathan is going to lose his teeth too and so will everyone in the class. I thought it was so funny how vain she is at 6 years old!!!
Though Tom thinks this picture angle makes her look bad, I'm posting it anyway. Her eyes are still pretty and you can see her teeth....or lack of....well in this picture too.

On a side note, last week Tom sent my laptop off to HP because it had a wireless problem and replacing the wireless card didn't fix it. We had read all over the internet about how crappy HP customer service is and how it takes weeks to get your laptop back. Well that was not our experience. Tom called on a Friday and by Monday we had the postage paid shipping box from HP. He sent it to HP on Tuesday and by Friday, I had my laptop back. They replaced the system board, hard drive, and hard case. I have been griping and complaining about how slow Vista makes my laptop since I got it. I asked Tom to put Ubuntu on my laptop. I have used it on Katie's computer and it is fine and much faster than Vista. I would freak out if someone closed my laptop because it took FOREVER to get it to wake up. Well you know my family, that became a source of entertainment....closing my laptop to watch me freak out and lunge forward to stop it from being closed. So when I got my laptop back from HP, Tom asked if I wanted to try Ubuntu. I eagerly said yes. So he loaded it and tested it to make sure everything I do on my laptop (pogo games in particular) worked. It did. So I have been using Ubuntu since Monday and I LOVE it!! My laptop is now blazing fast in comparison to when I had Vista. I haven't had any problems at all. I play Tetris on Facebook and it works just fine. I played around with Gimp yesterday to edit pictures. I like that too. I wish I had made the switch when I got the laptop. Bottom line....Vista stinks!!!

No comments: