Thursday, November 24, 2005

She's something else

In a previous post, I put a picture of Katie making that mean face that we see alot of. Well I saw a different face yesterday. I took Katie and Brittanie to Wal-Mart of have their Christmas pictures made together yesterday. Katie looked adorable in her pretty pink sparkly dress with white fur trim and hat to match. And Brittanie was her usual beautiful self. But I knew we were going to have a hard time from the first picture. Katie refused to smile. She looked at the photographer and I think remembered her from the birthday pictures. No matter what the photographer did to try to make Katie laugh, all she got in return was this look that Tom gets that means "Man you're stupid." The photographer was feeling bad and said "Yall I really am trying." But she had made Katie mad when she took her birthday pictures and she wasn't going to smile for her this time either. So we settled for fake smiles. It isn't what I wanted but at least there will be a story behind those pictures for when she gets older.

Well I was tired from running around yesterday so when I put Katie down for a nap, I layed down to take a nap too. I should have set the alarm because when I woke up, Katie had obviously been up for a little bit because she had unplugged the power strip that we used for the blow dryer that morning and put a paper clip in one of the plugs. God was looking out for her because had she done that in the wrong order she wouldn't be here today. Then she went in the bathroom and got the jar of Erythromicin wipes that a dermatologist had given Brittanie a couple of years ago for her acne and was wiping down everything in her room. She had also taken my checkbook and scissors and cut up the checks in my checkbook. This kind of stuff is typical Katie. I don't know if I put this in a blog entry or not but just a week or so ago after a nap, she came out of her room with a carton of eggs. Upon further inspection, she had egg all over the floor in her room and there was one in the bathroom garbage can as well.

Last night, Tom and I went to Subway to get subs and left Brittanie in charge of watching Katie until we got home. Brittanie had just made a strawberry no-bake cheesecake and put it in the fridge for it to set before putting the topping on. Brittanie then went in the living room and started watching TV. When we got home, Katie said "I want some pudding." I thought that was weird because we don't have any pudding and haven't had pudding in some time because Katie is lactose intolerant and the last time she ate it, it made her vomit. But I didn't think anything of her request for pudding and just said "We don't have any pudding." When we sat down to eat our subs, Tom realized Katie was in the kitchen and was quiet. That's always a red flag. When he went to check on her, he found her standing in front of the fridge with the door open running her fingers all over the cheesecake and licking it off her fingers. There were finger track marks everywhere.

Katie is soooooooooooooooo mischievous. She loves to dig and get into stuff she knows she shouldn't. Tom said that digging thing is in the blood because he used to love to go to Grandma Sightler's and dig in her junk drawer. I talked to Jenny last week about the junk drawer and she said all the Sightler grandchildren loved that drawer and that Grandpa Sightler used to put different stuff in there every now and again just for the grandkids to find in that drawer when they came over. Good memories! But it is frustrating for me. For Christmas, I'm asking Santa to bring Katie a Velcro suit and a big Velcro mat that we can put on the wall and on the bed so Katie can't get into stuff she has no business in. Brittanie never dug. Now the cheesecake/finger thing is another story. For Brittanie's 3rd birthday, we were outside setting up for her party on my mom's carport and we came back into the house to find that Brittanie had ran her finger on the cake and took off most of the icing on the sides of the cake. It was so funny. We didn't spank her and we didn't spank Katie for the same thing last night. But we did tell them both not to do it again. Brittanie never did. It will be a miracle if Katie obeys that request. She is very headstrong and wants to control everything in her life already. Tom and I are both that way but he was more obedient growing up than I was. My dad had a 4th grade education and my mom had a 6th grade education and I knew I was smarter than they were when it came to education. My mistake was thinking that I was smarter than them in everything. Because I thought I was more intelligent than they were, I didn't think I should do anything they said because they weren't smart enough to know what is best for me. That thinking shows how stupid I was. But unfortunately, Katie has inherited that bullheadedness from me.....thanks to my mom. When I was a teenager she told me she hopes I have a child just like me. I laughed at her when I had Brittanie because she is just about perfect. She has to be the easiest child in the world to raise. She definitely gets that from Grandpa and Uncle Jesse. But along came Katie....my mom's wish has come true. There is never a dull moment with Katie.

But despite the frustrations, we are so blessed. She is healthy and full of life and energy. She has a big heart. She doesn't like it when Tom and Brittanie wrestle because Brittanie screams and it makes Katie think she is hurt and Katie will start crying. God has definitely given us a wonderful gift when he gave us Katie.

No comments: