Monday, June 04, 2007

I'm MELTING!!

Normally melting would be a good thing but in this case...not so good. Our central air conditioner went out Sunday night. An hour later, the ceiling fan in the living room went out. So I called 2nd Wind and they came out today and told me that the motor for the exhaust fan is out, as well as the bearings. Unfortunately they don't have the parts in stock so they have to order the parts from a place in Columbia and they will be back out tomorrow between 3 and 5 to fix it. In the meantime, it is HOT! Tom and I considered going to a hotel with the girls but instead Tom bought a 5000 BTU window unit for the same price as a night in a hotel room. He put it in the living room tonight and now, as we are about to go to bed, he is going to move it to a window in our room. We will just let Katie sleep on the floor in our room tonight. Tom will move it back to the living room before going to work in the morning. Sounds like alot of work but it is better than being hot.

Katie started soccer camp at Columbia College today. This morning, she didn't want to go. She was almost in tears. I told her that she is not going to stay home in the hot house doing nothing all day. The camp is from 9 to 12. She didn't cry when I dropped her off. When I picked her up, she was smiling big and told me she had made lots of friends and had fun. BUT she said she didn't want to go back because it was too hot. But as the day went on, she kept talking about looking forward to going back. So she is going to be ok. This is my first experience with soccer. Tom played as a kid for half a season at Grace. But my school didn't have soccer and neither did the parish I lived in. So I was shocked at how serious soccer people are even for 4-year-olds. Katie was the only one not wearing soccer clothes, shin guards, and cleats. So we ran to Dick's Sporting Goods tonight and bought Katie some outfits, cleats, socks, and shin guards....$193!! The camp was $65. This is turning out to be a very expensive experience. But I want to start her young in a sport, like I did with Brittanie and softball, to keep her active and hopefully she will make exercise part of her life and not have the weight problem that I have. I will take a picture of her in her gear tomorrow morning.

No comments: