Saturday, December 22, 2007

Why does bad stuff always happen around Christmas?

Earlier in the week, I developed a cellulitis infection on my left leg. I have had quite a few on my right leg but never my left. Well this week what started off as a scratch has turned into a full blown cellulitis infection. I went to the doctor Wednesday and he put me on a huge dose of Keflex. Well last night (Friday), after running around like a wild child all day, Katie started throwing up at 8pm. She had asked us for some of the cheesecake Brittanie made. I told her she would have to eat dinner first. So she asked for dinner but then ran to the bathroom and told us she threw up. She lies so much that we didn't believe her. Then she said she wasn't hungry and wanted to try going to bed without supper that night. Well that's when I knew she was sick because Katie wants to eat 24/7. No sooner had she said that then she ran in the hall and projectiled all over the place, ran in the bathroom and projectiled more in the bathroom. We put her in the tub and she had to get out of the tub to "toss cookies" again. She got out and we gave her a Phenergan suppository...we only had one left. So I called the doctor and he told me that if she continues to throw up to take her in this morning and wouldn't call me in more Phenergan. We put her to bed and a half hour later I heard her talking ....or so I thought. Katie talks and kicks all night long. Tom checked on her and she had thrown up in her bed in her sleep and didn't even wake up. Back to the tub she went. When she got out, Brittanie wanted to hold her and swaddled her in her Carolina Panthers blanket. She "tossed cookies" three times while Brittanie was holding her and they were getting closer and closer together. She was "tossing cookies" every 15 minutes. So Tom decided he wanted to take her to the ER. I couldn't go because hospitals are breeding grounds for germs and with an open cellulitis infection on my leg, I would be opening myself up for staph or worse. So I stayed home while Tom and Brittanie took her. The doctor said it was a virus and gave her half of a Zofran tablet. I have taken Zofran and it has never worked for me. But it worked great on Katie. Tom said she perked right up and then was wide open. The doctor told him that is why they don't like to give Zofran first line to kids because even though it works, it wires them up. By the time she got home, she was bouncing off the walls. At one point, she was standing in front of Tom in the living room and started giving him about a dozen raspberries. That's all that little hyper thing needs is something to make her worse. But she went to bed with the rest of us at 3:30am and has been fine ever since. She has only eaten a piece of bread and drank some Gatorade today but that's fine as long as she keeps it down. I told Tom that if any of us puke today, the trip to Louisiana is canceled. You know my smart butt family, Tom and Brittanie both said they are going to stick their finger down their throat. LOL

Anyway, please pray for us that if we do make that trip down there, no one gets sick along the way and we make it there safely. We are leaving in the morning.

Yall have a very Merry Christmas!!

No comments: