Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On to Plan B

Yesterday I received a call from the LTC Hale at USC Columbia Army ROTC telling me that he just found out from Admissions that Brittanie did not get into USC Columbia. They were impressed by her GPA and her accomplishments/extra curriculars but her SAT score killed her. He told me that Swansea High is particularly bad with this. He even used the example of the valedictorian last year graduated with a 4.0 and had the same SAT score that Brittanie had and he couldn't get into WestPoint because of it.

Needless to say, Brittanie was devastated. She cried all day long and at one point, one thing she said made me laugh. We talked about her having to move to Plan B, which is that she would go to USC Sumter that way she could live on campus in the dorms in Columbia and take her ROTC classes with the Gamecock battalion in Columbia. I was telling her she would have the best of both worlds because she would get to live on the USC Columbia campus and take her ROTC classes there but then go to Sumter and have smaller classes at USC Sumter. She said "I don't want to go to USC Sumter! I don't want to be a Fire Ant!" That's right. USC Sumter is home of the fighting Fire Ants. I was trying to be sympathetic till that point but I couldn't help but laugh at going to a school where the mascot is a Fire Ant. Too funny! Here are a couple of graphics I snagged from their website. The last one is from the booster club. hahaha





No comments: