Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Catchin up

We have been working alot on the kitchen still and it is a hurry up and wait kinda thing. For someone as impatient as I am, it is miserable. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The new vent hood and backsplash for the stove is ready to be picked up today. The new floor should be installed by Monday. The new table and chairs come in Tuesday. The new fridge comes in Thursday (next week). Unfortunately I don't know when the countertops will be in. It could be next week or it could be 6 to 8 weeks. My decor is coming in by the end of this week. We are using the cafe theme in the kitchen and Gamecock in the utility room. One thing we have learned through all of this is that wallpaper sucks big time!! As God as my witness, I will never ever put wallpaper up ever again because it is awful to get off. Randy's parents painted our cabinets and all that ugly dark wood white for us but the hinges and pulls weren't in yet so he stacked them and they ended up sticking to each other in spots. So Tom is going to put another coat of paint on them cuz he thinks it needs another coat. The hinges and pulls came in yesterday and when he got home from work, he hung the doors and Jessica put the pulls on while I had the cushy job of unwrapping the hinges and pulls and handing it to them. I wasn't thinking when I ordered the hinges. I thought white cabinets should have white hinges. Wrong! The pulls are black and the hinges should be black too. So I ordered black ones last night. Hopefully by next week they will be in but Tom gave me the stink eye because now after spending 2 hours putting the cabinet doors up, he has to take them all back down, remove the white hinges, and put them back up with black hinges. But I already LOVE the white cabinets. It really brightens up the kitchen. That dark wood was ugly.

Since we were doing all of this redecorating, we decided to go through everything and throw out stuff we no longer wanted or needed. Jessica and I cleaned out the cabinets in the kitchen yesterday and filled up 6 BIG trash bags full of junk. There are a few items I decided to sell on ebay, like a Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back glass from Pizza Hut from 1978. I'm sure there is a nerd somewhere that would love to have that thing. I also have a couple of ET glasses from 1982. I have a Flintstones baby glass that I would have thrown out but Jessica thinks someone on Ebay will buy it. I'm not as convinced. I also have a couple of heavy square Disney glasses that were given to Katie as a gift last year but none of us like Disney. So I'm going to see if they will sell on Ebay. Whatever doesn't sell is being chunked. We decided to sell our upright freezer since it is beige and we really don't need it. I mentioned it to Randy's dad and that same day his mom said she wanted it. I posted on Facebook that I was selling our fridge, because it is also beige and small. Within 2 minutes, it was sold! We are going to throw away our table and chairs and clean out the 3 cabinets in the utility room and we will be done with the spring cleaning of the kitchen!

Tom and I have been kicking around ideas about moving. The reason we are updating the house is to sell it and move so we can be in a better school district for Katie so she can go to public school. Tom mentioned renting an apartment and putting the house for sale. Jessica would stay here and show the house for us and keep things up until we sell it. I got excited and even though I know this is a few years away, I couldn't resist going to look at The Reserves at Mill Landing Luxury Apartments in Lexington. Now I didn't go in to look at a unit but we did ride around there and now I am excited. It is a beautiful place that sits on a lake. Once the house sells, then we start building our dream home. We have been kicking around ideas of where we would like to live. I'm just really looking forward to having a house that is exactly how we want it with no wasted space like we have here. But I'm actually looking forward to our next upgrade project, which is the garage. We are replacing both garage doors and the two electric garage door openers, painting, and putting epoxy on the floor. I've gotten addicted to these home improvement shows. It is giving me ideas of what to do to make our house ready to sell.

I just realized I didn't post anything about Easter. We didn't do much as Tom was painting the kitchen. We did hide eggs for Katie and then she hid them for Tom to find. She loves doing stuff with her daddy!
Katie got lots of candy, a weird Diva bunny that Tom picked out because it was the biggest one, an UNO/Skipbo game for her Nintendo DS, a Sonic Rush game for her DS, and her first real big girl Bible with her name in gold. She needs it to start first grade next year. We did the same thing for Brittanie the Easter before she started 1st grade. Katie was very excited with her new Bible. She loves it.

Last week, Brittanie and Katie were being nice to each other and that is so rare that I grabbed the camera. Brittanie was holding Katie and telling her that that is how she held her when she was a baby. The touchy feely moment didn't last long and the fight was on. Tom and I both talked to Katie about how she treats Brittanie, as well as others. Her attitude will no longer be tolerated. I want her and Brittanie to be close as they grow older but Katie has such a big attitude and Brittanie is totally intolerant because she hates kids that it isn't looking good. I am confident that if we get Katie's attitude under control, Brittanie will meet her half way.

No comments: