Sunday, September 25, 2005

Happy 15th Birthday, Brittanie!!!

Today is Brittanie’s 15th birthday and I can’t believe she is that old already. Seems like just yesterday she was in that nursery window holding her head up and looking around while even a doctor passing by couldn’t believe a newborn could do that. Now she is 15 and beautiful, intelligent, talented, and such a joy. I also can’t believe I am old enough to have a teenager! I never pictured myself this old. I guess I thought I’d be a teenager forever. But Brittanie is so different than I am but that is a good thing in many ways. She is so grounded and has her head on straight and I just didn’t. She got a phone call from her orthodontist yesterday and it was the staff singing Happy Birthday to her. This morning, my niece called to wish her a happy birthday as well.

Brittanie met the youth pastor at Faith Baptist Church in Swansea Friday night and he invited her to go to church today. So we went. She actually wanted to go to Sunday School. We are not Sunday school people. Tom dropped her off at Sunday school and came back to get dressed and we went and met her for service. Everyone is so nice there. I swear 90% of that church came up and welcomed us and introduced themselves to us. The pastor and his wife were so nice. I especially liked that people dressed modestly but comfortably. There was a wide range from suits and ties to jeans and a pull over shirt. I love that because I hate feeling like I have to put on a fashion show to go to church. To me, as long as you are covered up and not wearing clothes that are skin tight, you are ok. Church is for worship, not to look at what everybody has on and making sure the women dress like Little House on the Prairie. Anyway, Brittanie was asked to sit with the youth for service, so she did. The church was having a spaghetti dinner after church to raise money for a mission trip to Romania. She came up to me after service while Tom went to get Katie from the nursery, and asked me if she could stay for the spaghetti dinner. She said Sunday school was the best she has ever been to and everyone was so nice and welcomed her with open arms and she wanted to stay for the dinner. Well the only problem was that the dinner was $5 and we had no cash on us. We had planned on taking her to O’Charley’s after church to celebrate her birthday. Well the pastor told us not to worry about that at all and even offered that he and his wife would take her home. We said it was ok but when we got in the van realized that we had four dollar bills and change that added up to a dollar in the van. So Tom ran it in there to her and gave her my cell phone to call us since she had left hers at home. She sat across from the pastor and his wife and talked to them and really loves it. She wants to go back Wednesday night. So that’s the plan.

Tom and Brittanie are going to Wal-Mart right now to buy “Fever Pitch” and “The Longest Yard” on DVD and she wants us to watch them with her for her birthday. So I’m just waiting for her to get home and we will do that. Tom and Katie were disappointed that there was no birthday cake but Brittanie has lost 30+ pounds. She didn’t want to blow it with birthday cake. You have to admire her resolve! So they bought a cake with the type of icing Tom likes just so he and Katie can have cake and Brittanie can have candles to blow out. Here are the pictures.

No comments: