Thursday, May 25, 2006

It's official

Brittanie takes her last exam this morning and she is done with her sophomore year and officially a high school junior. I'm both proud and sad. Brittanie works hard to get good grades (top 5% of her class) and strives to always do the right thing. But the closer she gets to graduation, the sadder I get because I know it won't be long before she will be going to college and moving on with the next phase in her life. She has goals set and a plan to accomplish those goals....which is better than me at her age. I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do (besides be a wife and mother) until I was 25. I know she is mature and responsible enough to handle college but I'm not mature and responsible enough to deal with her being so far away. She wants to go to either West Point in New York or Texas A&M.

Everything is just changing so much all at once. She is driving now and has her own car so she doesn't need me chauffeuring her around anymore. She can't drive after 8 but in July, her boyfriend will be able to drive after 8 and then she really won't need me to take her anywhere ever. When she goes back to school in the fall, she will be ordering her class ring. I know I'm overanalyzing everything but every milestone is huge to me. I have always enjoyed every minute of Brittanie's life and though I'm enjoying watching her reach every new milestone in her life, it is also sad because I know I won't have her at home much longer. But I know God will get me through it. Afterall, He's the one who made Brittanie the fine young lady she has become and He will give me the grace to let go and let Him continue to lead her through the next stages in her life.

Tom is leaving on June 4th to go to Ireland for at least 10 days....maybe more. We have never been apart this long in our 17 years of marriage. I HATE the thought of this. But as I said in a previous post, Zeus has been a GREAT company to work for so he wouldn't refuse even if he could. We are just going to miss him sooooooooooo much. I think Katie will be the one with the biggest problem with him being gone. She is definitely a daddy's girl. She asks me 100 times a day when Tom is coming home. He works late ALOT and not that long ago, he didn't get home till 9:30pm. Katie said "Daddy's taking too long to come home!" As soon as he walks in the door, she runs to him, screaming "DADDY'S HOME!!" and hugs and kisses him. He takes the stuff out of his pockets, takes off his badge, and then sits in his recliner and she immediately jumps in his lap and that's where she stays till it is time for a bath and bed.

Ok that's our family stuff.

On a side note, the American Idol final was last night. I haven't watched AI since Chris Daughtry was eliminated. (Tom watched in FF...he said it was boring.) We watched the finale in FF too. I loved the three cowboys singing. That was adorable. I REALLY enjoyed seeing Chris perform with Live. I had never heard of Live before but Chris is incredible and can make any group look and sound GREAT! That man has big things ahead of him. He doesn't need to win AI to be a star....he already is one! We didn't care who won last night because we were all pulling for Chris. But we did prefer Katharine over Taylor. Taylor's constipated dancing and contorted faces when he sings is painful to watch. Katharine is a daddy's girl and you can see how much her daddy loves her just by looking at him. I wanted her to win for her daddy. But as everyone knows by now, Taylor won. I just can't see his albums selling anywhere near as well as past idols but I do wish him luck....he is going to need it. I hated his confident/smug face last night like he just knew he was going to win. Katharine was nervous and humble....made you root for her even more. Anyway, the season of AI is over and we really enjoyed having those hours every week where we turned off the phones and came in the living room and all watched it together. It was the topic of many conversations throughout the week. It made our family a little closer. We are going to miss it.

No comments: