Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wild boar

Last night, Brittanie, Katie, and I were coming home from Brittanie's tanning appointment and as we were coming up our driveway, we saw a HUGE hog with tusks. At first we didn't know what it was and we kinda freaked out, screaming "WHAT IS THAT THING????" Brittanie was driving her new car and when we saw that thing, she backed up all the way to the road because she was scared it would charge her car. I called Tom (who was in the house) and told him I think there is a wild boar in the driveway. His response was "Yeah? We have those around here." He was so calm about it. Just like a man, he isn't afraid of anything and just walked out of the garage and was looking for it. Brittanie and I were more intelligent and refused to get out of the car! Tom took Katie from us and Brittanie and I left to go to Wal-Mart. Tom never did see the boar as our dog chased it into the woods. It must have been really old because it wasn't very aggressive and was walking pretty slow. But now I'm afraid for my girls to be outside in our yard. This is the biggest drawback of living in the country. There are all kinds of critters out here. This one definitely scared us. Brittanie and I ran in the house when we got home from Wal-Mart. That was just too scary.....at least for Brittanie and I. Can you tell we were freaked out?
This is what the boar looked like....only MUCH MUCH bigger. (Photo courtesy of http://www.illinoisplantation.com/) This thing is like a baby compared to the one in our driveway. I called my mom and told her about it and just like a typical Cajun, she asked me why we didn't shoot it and put the meat in the freezer. I just don't understand people that see disgusting animals and road kill as potential meals. GROSS!!! It reminded me of when we lived in Gramercy, LA and Tom was the song leader in our church and pretty popular. One night some of the deacons knocked on our door at like 10pm and wanted Tom to help them haul an alligator to one of the deacon's house. One of them had hit him with his truck and he got out, shot it in the head, and called some of the deacons to help get him in the truck and back home. He promised meat from the tail to everybody who helped. So they were coming to our house, since we were nearby where the gator was killed, to see if Tom wanted to help cleaning him and harvesting the meat. Anybody that knows Tom knows how funny that is. Tom would NEVER EVER do that. And just like with this boar, there was no way we would have killed that big thing because we wouldn't have wanted to haul the carcass away and we definitely wouldn't have cleaned it for the freezer either. YUCK!!!

No comments: