Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Jena 6

Tom and I have somewhat of a difference of opinion on what is going on in Jena, LA. That doesn't surprise me since Tom has always been able to see all sides of an issue and I lean towards seeing things in black and white. I frankly don't care what Justin Barker did. NOTHING he could have done would make it acceptable for 6 young men to beat him up. I don't care how many times he allegedly called them the N word. That wasn't a fair fight. That was gang mentality and it is criminal. He was unconscious and unable to fight back and they continued to beat and kick him. If my son were one of the six young men that did that, I would let him stay in jail. There is NO WAY I would bail out my son or daughter after he/she joined 5 other people to beat one person.

It sickens me that people are marching and protesting that they were charged as adults and basically want a slap on the wrist. To me, these are older teens and they know better. So what if he was only in the ER a couple of hours and went to a school function later that night. He was still kicked while unconscious and unable to defend himself. That's criminal and they should be tried as adults. I don't care what color they are.

Tom argues that from what he has read, the black people in that town see a big difference in punishments for black people and white people and that isn't right. Ok, so? So does that mean the Justin Barker gets no justice, even though he deserves justice because the judicial system there is allegedly corrupt? I say NO! Fix the system but don't send the message that if you beat an unconscious person....especially 6 on 1....you can get away with it.

What is wrong with the parents of those 6 boys? I would be angry with my son and tell him that he deserves what he is getting for acting like a hood rat! What do yall think?

No comments: