Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More roommate problems

Brittanie has slept at home for the last two nights because her roommate, Courtney, has two cats in the apartment that she doesn't take care of. The litterbox is completely and totally disgusting and makes the entire apartment stink. Cats are so nasty and these two are no exception. After doing their business and walking in it, they walk over the clean dishes in the drainboard in the kitchen and scratch on the sofas, which belong to the apartment complex, as well as the carpeting. I called the apartment complex Monday and told them about the cats because the lease says no pets other than fish and no bigger than a 15 gallon tank. Well Monday night, Brittanie came home to sleep because the apartment stunk so much that she didn't want to breathe that all night. She told me that the apartment complex managers didn't say anything to Courtney. After they still didn't talk to her yesterday, I called again this morning and told them that the rent is due in 9 days and I'm NOT paying it until those cats are gone. I then told them that I hold up my end of the lease by paying the rent on time and I expect them to hold up their end of the lease by making sure her roommates follow the rules like my daughter is. I called back this afternoon to make sure they had gone to check out the apartment. I talked to the main manager, named Betsy, and she told me she went into the apartment herself and as soon as you open up the door, the smell hits you in the face. I told her that Brittanie said Courtney had used an entire bottle of Febreze yesterday to cover the smell so that smell that hit her in the face was worse before yesterday. She told me that she is going to call Courtney today and let her know that the cats have to be gone by tomorrow morning and she will be coming back tomorrow morning to make sure they are gone. She is also fining her $100 per cat, which is also in the lease.

With all of these problems, Brittanie has told me she wants to move back home when the lease is up at the end of July and just live at home for the remainder of her years in college. I'm thrilled!!! I mentioned the dorms but she said she didn't like the thought of living in the same room with someone. She could end up with a messy roommate again and then there is the issue of drunks in the dorm hooting and hollering while she tries to study. She will be back in Columbia (hopefully) in the spring so it won't be a big deal for her to be home and commute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not all cats are nasty. I've had Gracie for 6 years and he is a great cat. Of course I clean his litter box everyday..lol. He is declawed and fixed to so he can't do any damage. But if you train a cat right they are very clean pets. At Least mine is. :)
Good luck with that roomie thing. Sounds like she got a bum deal on them!