Friday, April 11, 2008

Funny story/update on my legs

I went for my daily lymphedema wrap at Baptist and after watching Susan, the occupational therapist, wrap me every day this week, it was Tom's turn to wrap me because he will be doing it this weekend. She did the measurements and my leg is down dramatically and I have lost almost 2 liters of fluid already!

You have to start the wrap with rubbing lotion on the leg. Tom is a man with, I swear, twice the testosterone of the average man because he doesn't know the meaning of the word gentle....which explains why our girls love wildness and never cried when they got hurt growing up. They were tough like Daddy. Well he was rubbing the lotion on my leg and my skin is sensitive with all the wrapping so I had to tell him a couple of times "Gentle honey." Then the wrapping started and his fingers would dig into me with the free hand or the knuckles with the wrapping hand. I joked about him being a wife abuser and Susan told a very funny story.

She said a friend of hers, who was an officer at Shaw, was at home cleaning his gun and it went off and shot him through the hand. His wife took him to the ER at the Army hospital (Moncrief). They asked him in the ER how this happened. Well he is a jokester (like Tom and I) and told the ER doctor "She shot me" and pointed to his wife. But he passed out from loss of blood before he could say he was joking. By the time he came to and could tell them the truth, the MP's had already come and grabbed his wife and was down the hall with her taking her away. She said it has been many years since that happened and the wife still gets mad when that story is told because if he had died she would have gone to prison for something she didn't do. I thought it was hilarious.

No comments: