Thursday, August 25, 2005

And the gloves come off!

I have the utmost respect for our JROTC personnel but yesterday 1st Sgt showed me why Brittanie thinks he is so special. Brittanie had rifle team practice yesterday after school. After practice, 1st Sgt gave her a dollar and told her to go get her a bottled water because she looked like she was about to have a heat stroke. She went into the main building, past the commons to go to the JR/SR dining hall to get to the bottled water machines. The cheerleaders were having practice in the commons area and Miss R, the cheerleading coach, turned around and told Brittanie she wasn't allow to go through there. Brittanie told her that she was just going to get a bottled water. She was walking in the hallway, which is at the back of the commons area. It wasn't like she walked through the practice area or anything but she and Brittanie continued to argue about whether Brittanie was allowed to go get her water. Brittanie finally got fed up, rolled her eyes, and walked away and went into the JR/SR dining hall to go get her water. That's when Miss R screamed "OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME! COME BACK HERE! BRITTANIE!!!" Brittanie just ignored her and kept walking until she heard 1st Sgt's booming voice asking Miss R if there was a problem. She proceeded to tell 1st Sgt that Brittanie interrupted her cheerleading practice and she isn't allowed in there. 1st Sgt told Miss R that Brittanie IS allowed in there because he told her that she could go in there. He then said "You are worried about her interrupting your practice yet you stopped practice to yell at her." He then turned to the cheerleaders and asked "Did any of you even notice her walking back there?" They all said no, they hadn't noticed her at all. Miss R argued that he is undermining her authority. He quickly pointed out that he out ranks her because she works for the school, who works for the government and that he works for the government. He also told her "I know Sightler is special and all but she made her choice and she chose the right team. If she were happy being one of your cheerleaders, you would still have her. So you need to get it straight in your head and get over it. I don't want you talking to my cadets this way. I don't talk to your cheerleaders like you were talking to her and I don't want you talking to my cadets that way either!" He told Brittanie to carry on....go get her water. I LOVE 1st Sgt!!! If he hadn't handled it, I would have gone up there and had a prayer meeting with Miss R myself. 1st Sgt reminds me so much of Tom. He is very logical and keeps more of a cool head in situations of stress. He gets that gift from his dad. I, on the other hand, throw my brain out of the window when someone messes with my child. The brain is gone and the fangs are out and then I come across looking like the one that is wrong. Brittanie said because Miss R was ranting and raving and 1st Sgt just stood there calmly talking to her, it made her look like a jerk in front of her entire cheerleading squad.

Brittanie's rifle came in today. I was in the shower when FedEX tried to deliver it so I'm going to run by the FedEX office on the way to get Katie and pick it up. I can't wait to take her to Shooter's Choice to practice! Who'd have thought Brittanie would love this stuff so much. She is so balanced though. She has the tomboy side that plays sports, does karate, and loves military stuff. Then she has the girly side that straightens her hair everyday, puts on make-up, is very fashionable and was thrilled to be able to get a manicure this week now that she is no longer on the cheerleading squad. I'm so proud of her!!!

Katie is doing great these days. After her wonderful note from her teacher, I went and bought her a Spongebob backpack and got rid of her diaper bag. I told her that since she doesn't wear diapers anymore, she doesn't need a diaper bag and big girls carry backpacks. She LOVES her backpack and can't wait to put it on in the morning before school. This morning she was so excited that she was trying to put it on over her pajamas. I had to stop her, get her dressed, THEN put it on. She is so funny. Brittanie was teaching her how to march and about face yesterday. She told me this morning on the way to school that she liked Brittanie's uniform and she was pointed to Brittanie's Class A uniform that I picked up from the dry cleaner. She said she wanted one. I may end up with two girls in the Army. Who knows?

No comments: