Saturday, August 20, 2005

Public schools *sigh*

This has been a rough week as a parent. It was quite a roller coaster. I'm so far behind on my typing that I cancelled two appointments that I had on Monday but still didn't get all my typing done. Brittanie had her first rifle team practice and I was excited for her. She has been torn between two guys.....one that she really doesn't care for and one that she has been knowing since they went to Grace together in 4th and 5th grade. One called her and the other talked to her on the internet. She was feeling pretty good.

Tuesday, I worked the polls for the Republican primary for County Council. My guy won but there is going to be a run off because it wasn't a 51% win. I couldn't wait to get home to hear how Brittanie's day was. She was supposed to go see a movie with the guy she really didn't like but I don't know what happened but she backed out.

Wednesday, Brittanie had rifle team practice again and when she got home, the guy she really didn't care for called and asked her out to a movie on Friday night. She was in the living room with me talking to him on the phone and in the same breath that he asked her out, he asked her if she was on birth control!!! She flipped out on him. I was so proud of her. Needless to say, she won't be talking to him anymore. She was so angry and said she felt so disrespected that she just wanted to hit him. I know I'm going to sound like a geezer but in my day guys would date you a long time before they even thought about such things but they would NEVER ask a girl something like that unless she was being overly aggressive....which she definitely was NOT being. Brittanie said this is what she hates about being a teenager. She feels like she is just a piece of meat to guys. I told her that there are good guys out there and when the time is right, God will send that guy to her. She really isn't in a hurry anyway.

Thursday, she had her MRI of her back then her appointment with her sleep doctor. We got done at 11:30 so I called Tom and asked him if he wanted to have lunch with us. Brittanie had left her make-up in his truck anyway so we could pick it up from him after we had lunch. After lunch, I dropped her off at school just in time for JROTC class. Well she has JROTC with the guy she liked, "J". Well he was acting strange and wasn't reciting the pledge of allegiance or the cadet creed. When they finished, he couldn't figure out how to sit down in his chair. Major Norton pulled him out in the hall and he wasn't seen again. Brittanie got in my car that afternoon and told me that "J" is no longer an option because he was high in class today. This was just frustrating to her because she thought he would be a good boyfriend choice because he doesn't believe in cheating, he goes to church, and even went to Grace with her. Just because a guy goes to church doesn't mean he is a Christian or dedicated. So she was bummed last night.

Today, Brittanie's best friend, Miranda, called her and told her that her (Miranda's) ex-boyfriend, "C", got arrested at school today for drugs. "C"thought Brittanie reported him to Officer Smiley. Brittanie knew she didn't so she asked me if I did. I didn't. After a little digging, I found out that "C" was not actually arrested. He was expelled and has an expulsion hearing next Tuesday so he can answer to the charge of giving "J" three Ativans. That is what was wrong with John yesterday. He skipped three classes then showed up in JROTC after allegedly taking those and was acting weird. His parents were called and took him to the hospital. So supposedly he is kicked out of school too. My knee jerk reaction was to pull her out of that school. But then I remembered that Grace had one cheerleader get pregnant and another cheerleader snuck into a teacher's house and had sex with the teacher's foster son. There were students that would stay after school and smoke behind the gym instead of going out on visitation. There were students that did drugs before school, in the bathroom at school, and when they got home from school at Grace. Grace has the added pressure of having mean people like "M" who make fun of people for not wearing brand name clothes and for having Wal-Mart booksacks and lunch boxes. Brittanie was tortured because of her size and everything else they could think of. I personally know one cheerleader and one basketball player from Grace that both developed an eating disorder from being picked at by mean spirited "Christian" teenagers at Grace. I know two girls who tried to commit suicide while going to Grace. Plus we had a teacher even commit suicide there in 2002. I tried to address my concerns with the principal but he is in denial and will not believe that there is a problem. So when you look at things from that perspective, why pay tuition for my child to be tortured by "Christians" when she could go to public school for free and be exposed to alot of the same things....minus the torture because people at her school are mostly poor so they ALL wear Wal-Mart. Nobody cares if you wear Nike or Payless. That and much more courses to chose from are the best reasons for sending Brittanie to public school. She would not go back to Grace now. She LOVES JROTC too much to ever leave Swansea.

I have to judge a pageant in the morning and then come home and type my fingers off. I'm 4 days behind and I HAVE to catch up this weekend. I'm sick of being behind. Brittanie has a car wash tomorrow morning for JROTC. So I'm going to drop her off there while I do the pageant and then pick her up on the way back. I better get to bed. This week has been really exhausting. Yall pray for us!!

No comments: