Thursday, September 07, 2006

Katie this morning

I told Katie a few months ago that if she were good for a whole month, we would take her to Chuck E. Cheez. Well this morning she was being slow and acting like she didn't have a brain in her head and I know preschoolers find that fun but when you are already running late it is FRUSTRATING! As they were leaving I said "Go to school. I'm tired of you acting retarded this morning." She said "I'm not retarded, I'm a good girl." I responded with "pfft!" I thought it was low enough that she didn't hear it but she did. She said "Awwww man! I'm trying to be good but I can't. I"ll never get to go to Chuck E. Cheez!" It was so cute that I almost want to take her anyway.....almost....but I won't! Consistency is key. She is doing so much better.

My friend, Terri, told me about a book called "Parenting the strong willed child." I read Dr. Dobson's book about it but though I like him, it didn't help much. Terri is reading this book and applying some of the techniques, as she has a strong willed child too. She thinks it is working so I am going to give it a shot too. Tom and I both have very strong wills so Katie got a double dose.

But I have to give credit where credit is due, Katie isn't NEAR as bad as she used to be. Hopefully she is growing out of it and I think Grace helps. Grace is very structred and disciplined and she thrives there and is learning so much....including good manners. Her K3 teacher is outstanding!!!

No comments: