Thursday, September 28, 2006

Toys

What ever happened to the good normal toys from when we were growing up? I remember the Easy Bake Oven....before it became a microwave, a Sit and Spin....before you added lights and sounds to it (incidentally, there is no way to turn off the sounds on it so Tom cut the wire, otherwise it would have driven us totally nuts!), and I also remember Brittanie had a robot with cards that asked her questions. It was a learning toy and she loved it. Katie's 4th birthday is coming up (October 30th), as well as Christmas, and I was looking for some toys for her. I've been seeing commercials for toys and am not impressed. The two in particular I find unacceptable is the Quizard from Fisher Price and Barbie and Tanner.

Here is the link to their website: Quizard Maybe I'm in the minority but anything to do with wizards makes me think of the occult and thus is not acceptable for my child. I guess they are riding the Harry Potter sensation....also not acceptable in our home. But it is scary that they are starting children out young thinking that wizards and things like this are acceptable.

The second one is just disgusting. It is Barbie and Tanner. Here we have Barbie walking her dog, Tanner. She gives Tanner a treat and he immediately poops it and Barbie has to pick it up with her pooper scooper. This is a toy????? Are you kidding me? Basically, give Matel $15 and you can pick up poop. Sounds like a deal? Sounds stupid and gross to me. I don't get it! If you think I'm kidding, check it out for yourself: Barbie and Tanner.

My friend, Terri, told me about the perfect pet related toys. They are called the Littlest Pet Shop and there are different pets and the accessories that go with it. They are very affordable and best of all....no poop to clean up! Katie has such a fascination with Brittanie's hamster so I'm going to buy her the hamster and the accessories for it for her birthday. Here is the website, if you want to check it out: Hasbro's Littlest Pet Shop.

No comments: