Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday update

First off, I'm thrilled to report that the guy that kidnapped the 14-year-old girl in Kershaw County has been caught. They have a laundry list of crimes against him and if there is any justice, he will never get out of prison.

This morning my friend, Joanie, who just got saved a couple of weeks ago, went to church with us this morning. She loved it and is planning on going back with us next week. She even filled out the visitor's card that she is interested in joining and having the preacher call. I'm so happy!! Our preacher is always great but this morning he preached exactly what we needed and he was so nice to Joanie and her daughter....like he is to everyone. But Joanie hasn't been to church since she was a little girl so I'm so happy that the first time she goes back she experienced Christians coming up and welcoming her, especially the preacher. Often time preachers are perceived as cold and unapproachable. Ours definitely isn't like that. Bro. David Carter is just plain wonderful. We love him! On our way out, we shook his hand and I was standing next to him and Joanie was facing him with Katie to the right of her and her daughter, Laura, behind Katie. So after greeting Joanie, he shook Laura's hand and asked Joanie if that was her daughter. Joanie said yes and then Katie pops up and points to me and tells Bro. David, "And I'm her daughter." It was so cute. He said "Yes Miss Katie, I know who's daughter you are."

Katie has been learning so much at Grace. It is incredible how much a 3-year-old can learn! I bought some 8x10 phonics cards from ABEKA last summer and now that she has started learning phonics at Grace, I review them with her at night. Denise reminded me how the teacher does it....they say for example "Capital A, little A. A says a as in apple. A says a a a." So I started doing it that way last night and she has been sailing through those cards and loving it. I bought her a bunch of games and even a Barbie laptop that involve phonics and letters for Christmas. Well now that Grace has taught her those letters, she is having a blast with her learning toys. She sits in her play room and will periodically yell "OH I LOVE THIS GAME!!" I hope she keeps her passion for learning.

Well that's our update for today!

No comments: