Thursday, August 30, 2007

This should happen everywhere!

(New Orleans) -- Two towns in Louisiana are cracking down on pants that are worn low enough to show underwear, or worse.

The city councils of Alexandria and Shreveport are telling their inhabitants to hike up their pants or pay fines up to $200.

The ordinances still need a mayoral signature before the fashion police can start doling out punishment for wearing saggy pants. If they go into effect, that means there are at least six cities in the state that have trouser standards.

In Alexandria, the ordinance is reminiscent of school dress codes. It allows three inches of sag. Go below that, and citizens can be slapped with a fine.

While some critics say police have more important things to do than rid the streets of low-hanging pants, other foes say there are racist undertones to the policy.

A proposal in Stratford, Connecticut was soundly rejected this week after critics said it would be unconstitutional and target minorities.

I got this from wltx.com.

************
I think this is a GREAT idea!!! I'm so sick of seeing the underwear of these immature losers. I am going to show my age but when I was growing up, we actually were embarrassed if our underwear peeked over our pants. Now guys are belting their pants under their butt so that ALL of their underwear is showing and girls are wearing pants low so as to show their thongs over the top. Tom refers to those as "slut pants." I applaud these two cities for taking a stand for decency! I went to Louisiana College in Pineville, which is just across the bridge from Alexandria and it is a very nice city. I guess they want to keep it that way. Good for them!

No comments: