Saturday, June 21, 2008

Zune versus Ipod

It is no secret that I have been frustrated beyond belief with Vista. I absolutely hate it and Windows updates to it have now screwed up my Microsoft Word in regards to the screen refresh. It probably does it with other applications but it is extremely noticeable and annoying in Word because I use it to do my job. I am just tired of Microsoft period. Well one of my friends from Canada had a Microsoft moment and blogged about it. I thought it was funny and would be helpful to my readers. Here is the blog entry:

The background: I have a desktop and a laptop, running XP and Vista respectively. Also a 30g iPod which certainly doesn't reflect my needs. My daughter's Zen was biting the dust and I figured I should give her my iPod and upgrade to a bigger one. But I really loathe iTunes, so I looked into various hard drive portable media players. Most were over-priced or didn't have large enough hds so I decided to check out the Zune 80g, since I AM running Windows anyway.

The Zune was just released last week in Canada. I read reviews and was seduced by the lovely red one, and it was virtually the same price as the 80g iPod classic. And with an FM radio and a sweeter video screen and impressive scrolling thingy.
Anyhoo, so I bought it yesterday afternoon and charged it (took 2 hours) and installed the Zune software and ATTEMPTED to sync the sucker. Well. Let's just say, I am NOT computer/electronic illiterate and this little ******* froze repeatedly, as well as the Zune software. REPEATEDLY.
You'd think that Windows **** would be COMPATIBLE with other Windows ****. After over four hours of responding to the error messages, the plugging and unplugging advice and various other useless attempts, I called the store and asked them if they had any 80g iPods in.
Yeppers.
I promptly returned the little red piece of garbage and came home with the new iPod.
Re-installed iTunes, imported 3/4 of my digital music collection, charged and synced it WITHOUT INCIDENT.
And it works. Very well. With very few upgrades to the 30g but hey...if Apple can make a product that works with my Windows pcs and do it right, I will tolerate iTunes. It is far and away better than the buggy Zune stuff.

I do wish, however, that Apple products weren't so minimal in their appearance. I still wish my iPod was Apple red. :(

So, if you are in Canada and wonder about the Zune and actually purchase one - GOOD LUCK.


*****************
Ipods aren't perfect (they have a brain freeze intermittently) but for the most part, Brittanie loves hers. Her Ipod and her Iphone are her prized possessions.

No comments: