Friday, June 09, 2006

Tom in Ireland.....day 4

Tom didn't call last night. I assumed he must have felt really bad and crashed when he got home. I guess I was right. Here is the e-mail I got this morning:

I'm sorry I didn't call last night, I meant to, but we got in very late after a long day and I guess I was more tired than I realized.  I layed down on the bed just to relax a few minutes and actually fell asleep almost immediatedly.  The good thing is that I actually got a good nights sleep for the first time since being here.  I slept almost the entire night with only one or two very quick interruptions.

Anyway, we have another long day ahead of us today so I better get to it. I just wanted to drop you a note and say that I love you. I'll be sure and give you a call tonight at approximately the same time as the last few nights.

I'm glad he got some sleep. That's the best medicine he could get right now. I will blog more after I talk to him tonight.

On the home front, a member of Tom's family has passed away. She would have been 99 in a couple of months. In addition to that, Brittanie's boyfriend, Randy, called yesterday morning to tell her that his grandmother had a heart attack and died yesterday morning. It was his mom's mom and they were very close. So he is heartbroken, as you can expect. Brittanie ran out and got a couple of outfits to wear to the wake and funeral. The wake is tonight and the funeral is tomorrow (Saturday). Instinctually, I got a sympathy card and put some money in it for her to give to them. Then I thought about it and realized that may be just a Louisiana custom. So I called Tom's cousin, Jenny, to ask her if that is done down here. She said normally you just donate to the charity of their choice in lieu of flowers. She said she had never heard of anyone giving money to the family. I don't want to insult them but I know when my dad died, there were tons of expenses, even though the funeral was prepaid. She still had to buy a shirt and pay for the tomb to be opened and sealed.....plus the family arrangement of flowers. My nephew and I split the family arrangement and it was $300 total. I guess that's why in Louisiana people give money directly to the family.....to help out with those expenses. My mom received about $500 when dad died. It was just enough to pay for the tomb to be opened and sealed. Anyway, I'm glad I checked. Jenny suggested I put a note explaining that I wanted to give them a little something so they can use it where they see fit. That way if they need the money, they use it. If not, they can give it to the charity themselves. Anyway, please keep these families in your prayers. Randy's mom is my age. I know how hard it was to lose my dad. I am sure it is much worse to lose a mom.

No comments: