Saturday, October 28, 2006

State of Emergency declared

Louisiana's governor has declared a state of emergency in several parishes, including St. Landry, which is where I grew up and where my whole family still lives. My mom told me it has rained so much that it is flooding everywhere and they closed the schools Friday. Mom still lives in the town I grew up in, Krotz Springs. If you look at a map, you will see Krotz Springs sits on the edge of the Atchafalaya River with only a levee to protect them. After hurricane Katrina, I worry about the levee. In all the years I lived there growing up, I don't ever remember them cancelling school because of rain. I remember a hurricane or two closing the school but not a rainstorm. Please pray for the people who are dealing with all of this. Louisiana is flat and some parts are below sea level so when you have rain like they have been having....mom said 6 to 8 inches have been reported in Port Barre.....it can be devastating. So keep them in your prayers!

No comments: