Friday, December 22, 2006

Only 3 more shopping days!

I mentioned in a previous post that Tom went to the Village at Sandhill in Northeast Columbia Saturday. Well I went yesterday and with only 2 shopping days before Christmas, I was expecting gridlock. There was no gridlock! There were plenty of parking spaces. The traffic moved great. The biggest surprise was how HUGE that place has grown! I haven't been there in a couple of years. Brittanie and I went to see a movie in the new theatre out there on opening weekend. That was the last time I had been out there.

It is 21 miles from our house in Gaston to Columbiana Mall. It is 24.6 miles to the Village at Sandhill. It is worth the extra 3.6 miles! I hate malls because if you need a store in the middle of the mall, you have to park in Egyptland and hike up there and through all the mallers to get where you need to go and then hike back to Egyptland. Well that's the beauty of VAS, it is a HUGE strip mall. You can park right in front of the store you need. There are plenty of food places there too so you can shop, then stop to each lunch by the beautiful fountain in the middle of it all. VAS has EVERYTHING and they are still adding more! Check it out for yourself on the VAS website. I'm never going to fight Harbison traffic again! I'm going to VAS from now on!

Yesterday while we were at VAS, we stopped in front of the Hallmark store for Brittanie to run in and get ornaments for her and Katie (We buy them a new ornament each year so when they grow up and get married, they can take all their ornaments to put on their own Christmas tree.) and I put my flashers on. Katie is just like her daddy!!! She heard that ticking and asked me what was doing that. I told her and she told me to turn it off because that ticking was getting on her nerves. She actually used those words! We were trying to see if Brittanie was checking out yet and Katie, in true Tom fashion, said "Look at all those people. If I had to go in there with all those people, I'd go nuts!" Then when we got home, we started taking DVD's out of the cases to put in a new zip binder I doubt for them and I was letting her take them out of the case and stack them while I put them in the binder. Well she occasionally would have some that she couldn't get the button in the middle pushed down enough to release it so she would hand it to me. The first time I did it, I put the DVD on the stack of DVD's she had but I didn't make sure it lined up perfectly with the others she had stacked, which were lined up perfectly. She said "Mom! You put it crooked! You have to put the hole over the other holes!" Well I forgot the next time I did got one out and put another one on the stack crooked and she said "Mom! you're annoying me! Put the hole over the other hole!" (Katie can't pronounce annoying though. She says "annuving." It's pretty funny!) She is so Monkish! But then again, so are Tom and Brittanie so she gets it honestly!

Brittanie is working herself to death. She is really enjoying her job. They have her scheduled for 34 1/2 hours this week! We don't do much for Christmas eve....last year Tom and Brittanie went to a Panthers game even! So she is working Christmas eve. She called me from work last night and told me they needed her to work Christmas night from 5 to midnight and she accepted but she wanted to make sure I was ok with that. Our Christmas stuff is done in the morning. So I had no problem with that. But she was thrilled to be getting so many hours and can't wait for that next paycheck. lol I'm so proud of her. I have a friend who has a daughter 7 months older than Brittanie and she flat out refuses to get a job and told her mom that it is their job to take care of her and she doesn't have to work. She doesn't even do chores in the house! They struggle to make ends meet. The least she could do is help out. But she won't. Brittanie likes having her own money and her own car so she is motivated to work.....not that it would matter because her motivation is if she wants to continue living in this house, she HAS to work. I think all teenagers should work. It teaches them work ethic, responsibility, discipline, and the value of money. It also teaches them the importance of college because though Brittanie loves working at Sonic, she doesn't want to do that forever. So she is going to go to college and get her degree so she doesn't have to do that as an adult.

No comments: