Monday, August 18, 2008

Katie's first day and Brittanie update

Katie had a great day at school. She did complain about coming in from recess and having to sit at her desk "a million years." They have recess after lunch...which is at 11:30. So that's 3 hours of sitting at the desk. I guess to a five year old, that's a million years. I told her that when she sits at the desk, she is learning stuff, which will make her grow into a very smart big girl. So she got over that. She loved lunch....chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, and an apple. When I picked her up, her teacher told me she has been calling her "Brittanie" all day. I told her that she is used to that. That just happens when you have an older sister who went to the same school and people find they look alike. I don't see it but people tell me that all the time. Brittanie's third grade teacher asked me in car line how Brittanie was doing and told me to tell her hello and that she wishes her the best as she starts college. Over the last couple of years of me dropping Katie off at school, her past teachers have asked about her. I am always touched when they do that. Grace has great teachers. We only encountered one we didn't like at all and we found out we aren't the only ones who don't care for her. But we have a few years before Katie is in danger of being in her class so I'm not going to worry about it.

Now for an update on Brittanie. Saturday night (technically Sunday morning), she left at 12:30am to go to Wal-Mart to buy shower curtain rings. She made the mistake of going to our Wal-Mart (in West Columbia). We are in Lexington County, which has those stupid blue laws. So she went all the way over there for nothing. She was not happy at all. I didn't have the heart to tell her that if she had gone to the Garner's Ferry Road Wal-Mart, she would have been able to buy them because that one is in Richland County, which doesn't have the stupid blue laws. She was too mad telling me about it. I will tell her about it when she gets back from her shopping trip. Speaking of which, lets just hope a bad beginning means a good ending. This shopping trip has been riddled with problems. They have been planning it for 4 months. Eryka backed out because she had no money. Thankfully, Jessica and Courtney were able to go. They were planning on leaving Sunday at 2pm. Well Courtney got sick Saturday night and was up all night hugging the toilet. Brittanie called and asked me for something to give her to kill the nausea....still hoping she could just hop in the car and go. Wasn't going to happen. So I told Brittanie to leave Courtney behind and let her come meet Brittanie and Jessica when/if she starts feeling better. Concord isn't that far. So that's what they did. I printed out the directions to the hotel from her apartment using Google maps. She claims the directions were wrong but I'm thinking with how bad she is at directions, she probably got lost on her own. She called the hotel and they were able to help them navigate out of wherever they were and get to the hotel safely. She and Jessica went to eat Mexican food last night and are having a great time today. Jessica is so wonderful. I just love her! And if you need someone to shop with, she is the one. She and Brittanie definitely have the love of shopping in common. Brittanie texted me and asked how much money she had left in her account. So I looked and let her know and asked about Courtney. Courtney is feeling better and going to meet them tonight. Hopefully they will get to swim tonight after they go to Dave and Buster's.

No comments: