Sunday, August 03, 2008

weekend update

Thursday, Brittanie went to USC Sumter and bought her books. I was stunned. It cost her $272 for 5 USED paperback books for 4 of her classes! Evidently the cadets don't have to buy ROTC books...the Army provides them. My books cost alot in college too but they were hard back and new. That's just nuts. Hopefully she can sell them back at the end of the semester. Her English is like a 4th grade English book and there is another book with literature in it. The Algebra looks easy. I think she will do fine this semester. In my opinion, the hardest subject will be music appreciation because she has to listen to classical music. EEESH! But she is like her dad. They appreciate classical music. So I don't think she will have a problem keeping her GPA up this semester.

Friday, Brittanie dropped off her first apartment rent payment. They gave her the apartment number she would be moving into plus the name and phone number of the roommate she doesn't know. She was very excited.

Saturday, Katie got up and told Tom that the next time we go to Louisiana, she wants to take a picture with me, Tom, Brittanie, my mom, and mom's dog, Sassie. And while she was telling him that, she added "So don't even bother." I asked her what she means by "Don't even bother." She said "I mean daddy, don't even bother being grumpy and not smiling because we ARE taking that picture." Is she a clone of her daddy or what?? Brittanie had to work Saturday night and her store got hit by lightning. It took out the electricity in the back of the store, had an electrical burning smell, as well as smoke in the store. But they wouldn't evacuate the store. Brittanie's register was the only one still working. They called the fire department but they never showed up. Thank goodness it wasn't a blazing fire because the entire strip mall would have gone up in flames. Say what you want about Gaston but we have an outstanding fire department! If her store would have been in the Gaston FD coverage area, I know they would have responded....and quickly.

Brittanie had to go back to work today and everything was back to normal. She is about to get a taste of the real world. She is scheduled for 38 hours this week! Hopefully they will give her the same amount the following week because then she is off for a week because she will be starting college.

My girls are growing up! In 2 weeks, Katie will start K5 and Brittanie will move into her own apartment and start college. Where did the time go? I was on Facebook this week and one of my friends from college messaged me out of the blue. I hadn't talked to her in 20 years. It was so GREAT to hear from her. Seems like only yesterday Tom and I were in college and now our daughter is starting college. Katie was looking at Brittanie's K5 graduation pictures today and I promised her I would get her a pretty graduation cake like Brittanie had when she graduates.

All in all, it was a pretty quiet weekend and we enjoyed it. Next weekend is Pictionary with Frank and Lynn! I can't wait!!

No comments: