Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tougher tardy rules in Louisiana schools

I was reading an article on the website of the local Baton Rouge newspaper, The Advocate, about Louisiana passing a law to toughen the penalties for students being late for class. The new law allows the district attorney to fine parents $50 and 25 hours of community service if their child is late for school more than 5 times in a month. From what I have read on several sites, this has been a contraversial issue. I am curious what my friends think about it. I was bad about getting Brittanie to school late when she was at Grace. Grace gives you a day's suspension for 10 tardies....no matter how long it takes to accumulate the 10. I have to say that just lets the parents off the hook for taking the child to school that day, which saves gas! I have to admit that I would have made a much stronger effort to get her there on time if the consequences would have affected me financially. Tom would have had a duck if we had to pay $50 because I couldn't get her there on time. And I'm NOT doing community service. Obviously Louisiana is having problems with students disrupting class by coming in late and I think this is a great solution.

No comments: